Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Jazz Cafe in Lilongwe



Last month when I was in Malawi's capital Lilongwe on Friday night Andrea, Ilhame and I went out. Phoebe and Alick from Abt Associates in Malawi took us to the Jazz Cafe. There was no Jazz music over there but Reggae. The musicians were really good and Phoebe was translating to me lyrics of the songs that were sung in Chichewa (most of them had serious lyrics in spite of happy Reaggae sound). We had a few drinks and I ate delicous BBQ chicken that had more bones than I had. The funniest part was that I was dressed like all waiters working around. The colours and stripes were there. The only difference was that my stripes were thicker and I had different collar colour. Therefore  was joking that I could be their supervisor.
Prosli mjesec kada sam bio u glavnom gradu Malawija - Lilongweu, petak navecer Andrea, Ilhame i ja smo izasli vani. Phoebe i Alick iz Abt Associates su nas odveli u Jazz klub. Nije bilo jazz muzike nego reggae. Muzicari su bili odlicni i Phoebe mi je prevodila tekst pjesame sa chichewa jezika (vecina pjesama je imala ozbiljni tekst usprkos veseloj reggae muzici). Popili smo nekoliko pica i pojeo sam ukusnu kokos sa zara, a koka je imala vise kostiju nego ja. Najkomicnija stvar veceri je bila da sam ja stigo u klub obucen kao konobari. Boje i dezen majice su bile tu sa jedinim razlikama sto su moje pruge bile malo deblje i okovratnik je bio drugacije boje. Stoga ja sam mogao biti njihov sef.

The Jazz Club interior




Reggae group













Me, Phoebe, Ilhame, Andrea and Alick

Artsy photo

Phoebe, Ilhame and Andrea
Andrea and Ilhame

Me with the waiters



No comments: